2016/17 Absa Premiership season jetted off with high temperatures from all PSL sides as they were battling to win the league, survive relegation and write a new history for another coming season. As fans, I am definitely sure we were all excited about the new season and we had own predictions along who will win the league. However all eyes were on Mamelodi Sundowns, Kazier Chiefs “now we know their long run without winning any trophy”, Pirates “a special gesture to celebrate their milestone foundation for the club”. But in that case, it was not what you could have expected or predicted after 224 games were played with 509 goals scored (2.27 per match).
On this blog post, I am all about recapping 2016/17 Absa Premiership season by reloading key takeouts of a fascinating season we experienced and these are:
- Supersport United introduced a new record with 19 games unbeaten, that was the longest unbeaten run of the season.
- Tendai Ndoro welcomed fans to the new season with a hat-trick against Golden Arrows.
- Jayiya scored one of the fastest hat-tricks in the PSL history in less than 20 minutes against Chippa United.
- Lebogang Manyama completed his first season under Cape Town City as the PSL top goal scorer with 13 goals & 3 assists.
- Daine Klate became the most decorated PSL player earning his sixth league title and capping a special evening with a goal as Bidvest Wits won 2-0 against Polokwane City in their last home game of the season.
- Importantly none of the PSL teams across all home games played had 9 wins, only Kazier Chiefs and Mamelodi Sundowns had 8 wins while Supersport United, Polokwane City ad Golden Arrows had 7 wins.
- Bidvest Wits pocketed maximum points at home with 37 points in 12 wins, 1 draw and 2 loses despite losing their last encounter of the season against Kazier Chiefs to spoil their last 5 games with 4 wins & 1 loses.
- Kazier Chiefs was the only PSL club to end their 2016/17 campaign without losing a home game after 15 games played with 8 wins and 7 draws. While Mamelodi Sundowns was the only team to end the season with one loss, Cape Town City and Bidvest Wits with two loses at home.
- None of the PSL teams lost more than 8 games at home despite being Platinum Stars and Baroka being the only clubs to record 7 loses
- There were 3 teams last season to end their 2016/17 campaign being the only PSL teams to record zero loses in their last 5 homes games played, it includes Cape Town City, Kazier Chiefs and Mamelodi Sundowns.
- None of the PSL teams recorded 2 draws at home but Cape Town City, Ajax Cape Town and Platinum Stars were the only teams to end their season with 3 draws at home.12. Highlands Park had a convincing home record being one of the PSL teams to end the season with only 4 loses joined by Chippa United, Golden Arrows despite collecting maximum points of 18 points in 15 home games played.
- Baroka FC was the only team to end the season with one win after 15 home games played recording only 12 points along the side of Bloem Celtic who ended the season with 12 points as well through 2 wins, 6 draws and 7 draws at home. In addition, Baroka FC became the unfortunate team during the campaign to have recorded one of the biggest winning less run with 15 games without any victory at all.
- Mamelodi Sundowns was the strongest side being one the no1 PSL side to collect maximum points in their away games [15 games played, 8 wins, 3 draws & 4 loses resulting to 27 points, 4 points gap ahead of Bidvest Wits with 23 points]
- Supersport United demolished Orlando Pirates 6 -1 on the 1st of November 2016 while Mushin retired the next day. But karma knew his way through as Supersport United received their own medicine from Mamelodi Sundowns 6-0 as Matsatsantsa a Pitori fell out of the title race. Funny enough Orlando Pirates was beaten 6-0 by Masandawana at Loftus Stadium on the 12th of February 2017 to record the biggest home win before it was Valentine’s Day. SURELY NO SOLACE OR REMORSE FROM CHAMPIONS OF AFRICA MAMELODI SUNDOWNS.
- Chippa United was the only club to record 10 loses away and being the least PSL side to collect only 7 points away.
- Bloemfontein Celtic, Orlando Pirates, Golden Arrows, Free State Stars, Highlands Park and joined with Chippa United were the only PSL teams to record zero wins in the last 5 away games with at least two draws from each.
- Surprisingly Platinum Stars did not have an impressive campaign but they performed better away as they bagged 19 points away with 4 wins, 7 draws and 4 loses while joined by Polokwane City also another team to have recorded 4 loses away. For history purpose keep note: Platinum Stars recorded one of the biggest away victories as they humbled Cape Town City by 4 goals to nil on the 13th of December 2016.
- Highlands Park was relegated back to the NFD side after a disappointing spell in the PSL, as the team could not turn things around on the last day against Sundowns
- Orlando Pirates and Bloem Celtic were the only clubs to finish their season without a win in the last 5 matches played “SHOCKING”.
In a nutshell, 2016/17 season will always be remembered as one of the most cracking and memorable seasons in the PSL history. This is due to Wits winning their first ever league on the South African football soil, Gavin Hunt adding another league title in his honours cabinet to record 4 titles from two PSL sides he has managed and Cape Town City being one of the sensational teams to ever join the PSL and manage to dominate, show consistency with no fear to face any ups and downs.
Statistics collected from: www.futbol24.com